Saturday, January 05, 2008

What a difference a day makes

Thursday at 10:00 I went to the doctors office for a follow up visit on my acute sciatica. My leg had not improved so I was just getting along with pain pills every six hours. He told me that the MRI showed two damaged disks. The next thing I know I am on my way next door to a pain clinic to have an injection of steroids into the spine.  I met with a nice doctor over there who told me that it was impossible to tell which  disk was giving me trouble.  He said he would treat the one that looked worse but if that did not work he would have to treat the other one in a month.  Before noon I was on my way to the the room where they do the procedure using "live" x-rays.  It was not painful and only took a few minutes.  They said not to expect instant relief but perhaps it would be better by Monday.  The nurse told me not to be disappointed if it took as long as a week or ten days.  So I left with the expectation that I would still be taking pain pills for at least a few days.

To my great surprise I have hardly needed any.  I took one Friday morning early and never needed another.  This is pretty amazing after two weeks of constant pain. When I went to bed last night I had no leg pain.  This morning I have a little but it's not very bad.  I may wait a while to see if it works it way out.

Anyway - very encouraging progress in a short time.

We're in for a big warmup this weekend.  41 today and fifty something by tomorrow and even warmer on Monday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, so happy to hear you've gotten some relief!!! Your weather sounds like ours.